Red Deer recreation centres will start opening this week.
Specific activities will resume at different times in Red Deer to ensure the safety of staff and facility users.
“We know citizens are anxious to get back into our facilities and to resume their recreation and culture activities,” said Barb McKee, Recreation Superintendent. “We appreciate everyone’s patience as we have worked through the necessary planning to adapt our operations to meet provincial health regulations. We are now ready to start welcoming citizens back to our facilities and spaces.”
The re-opening plan:
- July 6:
- Day camps start. Half-day sessions for specific age ranges. More information at reddeer.ca/daycamps
- Ice at Collicutt Centre available for user groups only.
- July 7:
- Outdoor fitness classes at Setters Place at Great Chief Park start. Registration required. More information at reddeer.ca/outdoorfitness.
- July 9:
- Blue Grass Sod Farm Central Spray & Play and Lava Rock at Kin Kanyon open. The amenities are unsupervised and capacity limits will be in place (currently 100 people).
- July 13:
- Lane swimming at Michener Aquatic Centre available. Registration is required and capacity limits will be in place.
- July 20:
- Indoor fitness and running track at available at the Collicutt Centre. Registration is required. At this time, indoor fitness classes will not be available.
- Aquatic fitness classes at Michener Aquatic Centre start. Only shallow water activities will be available. Registration is required and capacity limits will be in place.
- Public swimming at the Collicutt Centre and G.H. Dawe Community Centre starts. Registration required and capacity limits will be in place.
- Field house and gymnasium at Collicutt Centre, G.H. Dawe Community Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre available for rentals or registered activities.
- Culture Services at Intermediate School open to the public; day camps operating and Viewpoint Gallery open.
- Dry space at Kinex Arena for user groups only.
- Meeting Rooms at Setters Place and Intermediate School available for rentals.
- July 27:
- Swimming lessons at Collicutt Centre and G.H. Dawe Community Centre start. At this time, only private swimming lessons will be offered.
View a timeline of the schedule here.
At this time, the Recreation Centre and Servus Arena will remain closed. We continue to assess and understand demand for facilities, program and services as part of this phased approach to opening. As previously announced, the outdoor pool and Discovery Canyon will remain closed for the season. Additionally, child minding will not be offered at this time.
“While we are excited to open our facilities, things will look different as we navigate our new operating environment,” said Shelley Gagnon, Recreation, Parks and Culture Manager. “We’ve had to make
some difficult decisions when it comes to how and when we open our amenities. Through our planning, our aim has been to provide access to as many amenities as possible while still ensuring the safety of all users and staff, while also considering our financial stewardship responsibilities.”
Safety guidelines and protocols have been developed for facilities and for specific activities. Registration will be required for all activities, including those that typically would have been on a drop-in basis. Registration will occur on-line at www.reddeer.ca through LooknBook as well as via phone. Dates and information will be announced as facilities open.
As recreation and culture amenities open, The City strongly encourages users to remain vigilant and continue exercising caution to prevent the spread of COVID-19 including washing/sanitizing hands often and staying home when feeling ill. Facility users will be required to follow all Alberta Health guidelines and public health orders including maintaining physical distancing when possible.